Facts You Should Know About Dental Inlays and Onlays
People generally avoid going to the dentist. This might do more harm than good. We become prone to certain diseases such as:
- Gum Disease
- Oral Cancer
- Crooked Teeth
- Broken Teeth
- Darkened Tooth
- Tooth Decay
When it comes to dealing with tooth decay or damaged teeth, we can opt for dental inlays and onlays. These are methods used for the restoration of tooth structure. These are different from fillings and are called indirect fillings. They are different from a standard filling. Dental inlays and onlays are prepared in a laboratory setting. They are fastened to the tooth structure by the orthodontist.
Dentists at Dental Arts SPB answer some questions related to Dental Inlays and Onlays.
- What are the benefits of Dental Inlays?
Tooth decay and damaged teeth can cause embarrassment when you smile. But with scientific and technological developments, there is always a solution.
The metal filling is the most prominent method adopted by dentists to fill cavities. But not everyone is comfortable with a metal filling. Some feel conscious about the entire idea. Hence, in such cases it is always better to go for dental inlays. Dental inlays are more natural-looking than a metal filling. Dentists use dental inlays to seal your cavities with materials. The topmost benefit of using them is that they can easily match the color of your tooth.
- What is the role of Dental Inlays?
When you have damaged teeth or tooth decay, dentists either go for metal filling or dental inlays. Inlays are used for fixing the chewing surface. Generally, dental inlays are created from composite resin or porcelain. One always has the option to choose gold for creation of inlays. When it comes to composite fillings or inlays, the latter is more durable. It is a suitable option if you can’t afford dental crowns.
- How does one care for Dental Inlays?
Dental Inlays need the same level of care as our original teeth. One needs to maintain oral health and dental hygiene by brushing the teeth twice a day. Apart from brushing, flossing is also mandatory.
- What are benefits of Dental Inlays?
Benefits of Dental Inlays are as follows:
- Strength: Durable materials are used for making dental inlays. They last longer and provide support to damaged or decayed teeth.
- Fit: Dental inlays are customized for the patients. They provide a better fit than dental fillings.
- Colour: Dental inlays are less likely to result in tooth discolouration.
- Hygiene: Cleaning dental inlays is no tough task. You just need to brush and floss your teeth properly.
- What are Dental Onlays?
Dental Onlays is a technique to repair damaged teeth. It is used for fixing damages that affect the tips of the teeth. The dentist creates dental onlays in the laboratory and then bonds them to the damaged teeth. When a material is affixed to the centre of the tooth, it is an inlay whereas when it is bonded to the cusps of the tooth, it is an onlay.
- What materials are used for creating Dental Onlays?
Dentists use porcelain or composite resin for creating dental onlays. Some people prefer onlays created from gold. If you are one of them, you can ask your dentist to go for it.
- What are the benefits of Dental Onlays?
Some of the benefits of dental onlays are mentioned as follows:
- Easy to clean: Dental onlays require regular brushing and flossing. Cleaning them is a hassle-free procedure.
- Retaining original colour: Resin filling that matches tooth colour leads to discolouration in the long duration. But onlays do not result in discolouration as rapidly as resin filling.
- Maintains the original size: Resin filling or metal filling starts shrinking after use. But gold onlays and porcelain onlays retain their original size even after a prolonged used.
- Preservation of Natural Tooth: Use of dental onlays allows orthodontists to preserve our natural teeth in a healthy state while they repair damaged or decayed teeth.
- Firmness: Dental onlays have stability. They fit in with ease.
There is much more to learn about dental inlays and onlays. Dentist at Dental Arts SPB can determine whether you need to be treated with dentals inlays and onlays
We need to protect our teeth at all times. We need to care about the oral health and visit the dentist once in six months. But at times, no amount of care can save our teeth from damage or decay if we have an unhealthy lifestyle. The best option in such cases is to visit a dentist for a checkup. He will suggest you a dental treatment as per the requirement.
If you are planning to get dental inlays and onlays, schedule an appointment with Dental Arts SPB.